On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 04:58:00PM +0000, Martin Oldfield wrote:
> Does anyone have a feel for the relative performance of the various
> SQL databases in Debian ? I'd also be interested to know how these
> compare to something like Oracle (under either NT or Linux).
>
> I'm looking to manage two databases: one of roughly ten thousand
> records a few k in size, the other 100,000 rather smaller records. It
> might well be feasible to use something like gdbm for the latter one.

Postgresql runs like greased lightning.  In some tests involving
0.5 million records of a few K in size, it blew away MS SQL Server.
I think it was version 6.  Postgresql runs well, although it does have
some limitations.  ODBC was the main weakness I noticed.  We're currently
deploying Oracle on a Debian server...

Oracle is bloatware even by Microsoft standards.  I can't comment on
speed yet.

Good luck,

Jeff