Torsten Hilbrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:54:49 -0500 (EST) David S Zelinsky writes:
> >
> > Ever since upgrading from bo to hamm, my PATH environment variable
> > as seen from inside emacs (with (getenv "PATH")) has a trailing / on
> > each entry:
> >
> >     /usr/local/bin/:/bin/:/sbin/:/usr/bin/:/usr/sbin/:/usr/X11R6/bin/
> >

> [...]
>
> Please execute an "echo $PATH" within your login shell and check the
> output.  If there is no trailing / there, something strange is
> happening.  On my system, both "echo $PATH" and "(getenv "PATH")"
> yields all component of my PATH without the trailing /.

I checked this.  In any shell that wasn't started by emacs, the PATH looks
normal (no trailing /).  But the running emacs actually has the trailing
slashes in its PATH environment, which gets inherited by any new shell.

I've also tried this with `emacs -q', and with no .bash_profile or .bashrc,
and even when logged in as a "new" user, with just the skeleton files.  In all
cases, I get the trailing slashes when in emacs, but normal looking PATH
otherwise.

I agree, something strange is happening.  I'm utterly baffled by this.

I also just noticed that there is an extra `:/usr/bin' as the last element of
my PATH, inside emacs, that isn't there in shells outside of emacs.
Strangely, it doesn't have the trailing slash!

--
David Zelinsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]