>Joe (and anyone else interested),
>
>Very nice idea, and I have an idea to make it even nicer:  There's
>a package called 'netselect' which describes itself thusly:

Cute. However, I'd be heasitant to make dselect depend upon yet another
package. Keep in mind that dselect has to fit on the install floppies...
which means that all of it's dependencies do, too.

I think we'd be able to find some happy middle ground by implementing
something like netselect as a perl function.

Also, we could keep the mirrors file updated with some indicator of how fast
that site is (like a speed value of 1 to 10 or something). Granted, it
wouldn't give you an indicator of how responsive the site is "right now",
but it's better than nothing. Also, the mirror file could indicate how
"behind" the servers tend to be. I've tried some mirrors that lag several
days behind the Mother ftp server. It would be nice to know that ahead of
time without having to try them.

- Joe