From:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi all,

I am in the market for a UPS to use with my PC that will provide power
just enough power to get a shutdown finished in case of total power
lost.  I have looked at the Hardware Compatibility HOWTO and the UPS
HOWTO but I wanted to first hand experience from members of this list.
My hardware is a P266, 6.1G eide HD, 1.2G eide HD, 1.2G eide HD, cdrom,
scsi tape, 17" monitor, el-cheapo speakers, HP 660C deskjet.  I know I
don't have to put the printer and monitor ont the UPS so that could
reduce the size of the thing.

What brand/model works best with the linux daemons and provides
shutdown notification? How easy is the hook up?  I saw a lot of talk
about custom cables, etc.

Thanks,
APC up's (also trip lite) interface well with the upsd package.  The
monitor port is generally only available with the 350va and up ups'.
I have used a mere 200va ups with similar equipment (no monitor port).
 You only need enough run time to trip the shutdown and avoid a power
crash.  If the ups will hold for 2 or 3 minutes you have it.  BTW If
you find a cheap ups with no power fail port, you can use the old
trick of just monitoring the dsd signal of an old modem powered by the
same line that the ups is plugged into.  Any old modem will do, even
that old 300pbs boat anchor.