[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 15-Dec-98, Lyndon Fletcher took time to write :
> > Hi all,
> >        I have a number of small problems getting Debian packages onto my
> > PC. Ok, for a start the machine has an unrecognised CDROM type and
>                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> the OSes don't recognize it ? or you don't recognize it ?
> you should at least know if it's an ide one, a scsi one, or one hooked up a
> sound card.
> so what it is ?

It is an ATA (NOT ATAPI) style CDROM drive with a proprietary interface.
This is not one of the proprietary drives that Linux supports, therefore
I can't use it.

> > second it has a limited HD size (~360Mb). I can't do anything about
> > either of these problems at the moment and would like some advice for
> > working around my problems.
> >
> > I managed to install by leaving a small 30MB dos partition on the
> > machine and copying the base distribution and install files into it via
>
> from where did you do your copy ? the cd ?
> then if the dos sees the cdrom, linux should see it also !

Not nescessarily. Unless Debian can run 16bit DOS driver code there is
to way to access the CDROM without a Debian driver and there ain't one.

> > DOS. This allowed me to get the basic system loaded.
> >

> > My problem is how to load the rest of the packages. I have a couple of
> > ideas and would like to know the answers to a few specific questions.
> >
> > 1) Idea 1
> >
> > I could copy a few packages at a time onto the 30Mb Dos drive and
> > install from there.
> >
> > Question 1 --- To run dselect do I only need the .deb files or do I need
> > the "packages" files too?
>
> yes you need the packages files, otherwise dslect won't know anything about
> what is present and what it is.
>
> > Question 2 --- If I do need the "packages" file do I have to edit it to
> > reflect the actual path to the .deb files?
>
> manual edition ? strongly discouraged !

> > Hope that you can send me some answers... I've been pulling my hair out
> > over this all week.
>
> i think what you could be easier for you is just to unplug the cdrom drive
> from the win95 and to plug it in your machine.
>
> why aren't you doing this ?
> it's simpler !

Because... the Win95 machine is a laptop and consequently I would have
to tear that machine apart to get at the CDROM.

There is method to this madness... I am not a newbie to computers of
even to Unix just a newbie to the way Debian works.

Fletch