On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, David Stern wrote:

[ snip ]

 : What I did was to select the kernel options good ol' Bruce listed in
 : the readme on the rescue disk statically (initrd, ramdisk, loop, msdos,
 : fat, minix, elf, ext2fs, procfs).  Then I added major categories of
 : features statically (scsi), with individual options in those categories
 : (ai7xxx) as modules.  I also used cpu type 386 to reduce the size of
 : the kernel somewhat, although that is probably overkill.  Categories
 : which I didn't need, like isdn or ethernet, I excluded to save space,
 : again probably overkill.
 :
 : Then I modified the Makefile as follows before compiling:
 :
 :      ROOT_DEV = /dev/ramdisk
 :
 :      RAMDISK = -DRAMDISK=1440

There's a file on the rescue disk (rdev.sh?) that contains the rdev
commands you need to run on your new kernel image once you've finished
compiling.  No need to edit the Makefile.

I generally apply the rdev commands my new kernel, then I ftp the kernel
over and copy it to the rescue disk from an NT command prompt - my
desktop at work is NT, the linux server(s) are in another room and are
physically secured so using the floppy is a pain.

Works for me,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD