At 09:59 PM 12/15/1998 -0600, KTB wrote:
>Hi, thanks to all the people who have offered advice with configuring
>X-windows.  I have not been successful and am brain dead at this point.
>I also tried hooking up to the internet with the same result.  I chose
>the debian release because I wanted to learn more about computers (I
>have only used a pc off and on for the past year) and I like the
>philosophy behind Debian.  I am wondering if Debian is just too
>difficult for me at this point.  I am wondering if maybe I should try
>Red Hat, I have heard it is easier to install, and then come back to
>Debian.  Does this sound like a logical progression to anyone?  I don't
>have experience with either one so I just don't know the best course to
>take.
>Thanks,
>Kent

What part of the world are you in? Perhaps you're near someone or near a
LUG (Linux User's Group) that could give you some one-on-one help.

I think Redhat might be easier to get your feet wet with, but Debian will
probably be easier to work with in the long run. I personally think you'd
benefit from being exposed to several distributions, but be aware of the
psychological trap that if you start with Redhat and have an easy time of
it but then switch before you run into the harder issues of Redhat, your
brain will always subconsciously consider Redhat easier, even if that's not
true.

I don't remember all the problems you've been having, but I vaguely seem to
think they're mostly X-Windows related. If that's the case, I'd suggest
sticking with Debian and fighting X until you've beaten it into submission;
for one thing, you'll learn a lot more than if you just let Redhat's
installation program do it all for you.

I understand your being "brain dead". Might I suggest that you try to run a
game or two; you'll most likely find them in /usr/games. Don't try to run
the ones starting with "X"; they need X-Windows. Most of the default
text-based games are rather mild, but it'll give you a little boost to be
able to do "something" with your system. (If you "cd /usr/games", instead
of starting the game "foogame" by simply typing it's name, you may need to
type "./foogame". Unlike DOS/Windows, the system doesn't always "see"
executables in the current directory, for security reasons.)

If you've got a second machine, install Redhat on it, but leave Debian on
this one.

Have you posted any questions about your dial-up? Have you verified your
connection to your ISP from another computer/Operating System? Have you run
(as root) pppconfig, and then typed pon to start your connection?

I don't mean to push you into killing your brain any farther, but my gut
instinct is that you're closer to some major successes than you think.

The Other Kent