[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  >[EMAIL PROTECTED] dixit:
  >
  >> Horacio writes:
  >>
  >> > BTW, how can I give a normal user permission to use the smail/sendmail
  >> > command?
  >>
  >> What are you trying to do?  I can think of no reason that a user would eve
  >> need to type 'smail' or 'sendmail'.
  >
  >I don't get it, I am supposed not to use root except for (re)configuring
  >programs/the system,... so, every time I want to get my mail downloaded I
  >have to enter as root, or else I can't run the smail or sendmail command as
  >a normal user.
  >
  >May be there's a way of doing it automatically by writing it somewhere
  >(probably the same with fetchmail)?

The command to use for sending mail is runq, which is in an ordinary user's
path. (It's just a script that runs sendmail.)  Collecting mail should be
automated. Either make it a cron job, to run at regular intervals, or
use the ip-up script to fetch mail every time PPP is started up.

For example:
=================================
$ cat /etc/diald/ip-up
#!/bin/sh
#
#       $Id: ip-up,v 1.19 1998/08/10 06:27:47 phil Exp $
#
# Sample diald ip-up script -- GV
#

iface=$1
netmask=$2
localip=$3
remoteip=$4
metric=$5

# Set the time and date
ntpdate  -s -t 5 ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk ntp4.strath.ac.uk &

# Get mail
fetchmail  mail.enterprise.net

# Run the mail queue
 runq

--
Oliver Elphick                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     "Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth;