Hi, Joe!

Thanks for your help.  Both problems are happily resolved :)

> >Questions:
> >1. How should I redirect user's mails:
> >For example I want mail to
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] to be redirected to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >because there are actually no user on linuxbox.domainname
>

> Put:
>    smartuser:
>         driver=smartuser;
>         new_user="[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
>
> in your /etc/smail/directors file. In fact, you're in luck.

You are right!  Once I sorted out problems you mentioned in next paragraph,
then mail sent to [EMAIL PROTECTED] went to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Perhaps because
of visible_name.

>  The current
> "smailconfig" that comes with the smail package does this (and only this)
> automatically if you choose option "1 - A machine connected to the internet"

Yes, that's what what I chosen.

> (This used to set the machine up as a bona fide mail server, they seem to
> have taken that out and replaced it with a setup that does nothing but
> shuffle all incoming messages to some other machine.... who's idea was
> THAT?!?!?!).
>
> Anyway... it *sounds* like you're having a problem with users sending mail
> from your xterms cluster and their return address indicating that actual
> machine. If that's the problem you're trying to deal with, you're better off
> nipping it in the bud. I know that there's a way to customize the hostname
> that appears in the return address. It might be the "visible_name" parameter
> in the /etc/smail/config file, but I doubt it. I think it's /etc/mailname.
> However, if anyone uses pine or something, pine might have stored this value
> in the user's .pinerc file... so changing /etc/mailname wouldn't change the
> address that appears in their outgoing mail.

Right, that was exactly the problem.  I set both files to have
domainname.com in them

> Experiment. Good luck.
>
> >2. I would like to redirect [EMAIL PROTECTED] email specifically to my
> >account
> on
> >another computer.
>

> put something like....
>   aliases:
>         driver=aliasfile, owner=postmaster, sender_okay;
>         file=/etc/aliases, proto=lsearch,
>         modemask=002, owners=root:mail:daemon, owngroups=root:mail:daemon
Was glad to see that it's actually organised this way.  A least in slink.

> in your directors file BEFORE the entries that say "user:" and "realuser:"
> (if they're even there). Then, make an alias for root in your /etc/aliases
> file.

Yes I did that, and mail happily arrive on my account on different computer.

> Alternatively, you can put
>    dotforward:
>         driver=forwardfile, owner=postmaster, nobody, sender_okay;
>         file=~/.forward,
>         checkowner, modemask=022, owners=root,
>         unsecure=0-99:~ftp:~uucp:/tmp:/var/tmp,
>
> in the directors file before any "user:" or "realuser:" entry and then just
> make a .forward file in root's home dir.

Did not try that.  But will keep in mind.

Thanks again,
Sasha.