On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 09:47:39AM -0800, Kenneth Scharf wrote:
> I just brought 17.2G ide harddrive, and when I try to use cfdisk to
> partition
> it, it only sees 8G. FWIW, I updated cfdisk to ones in frozen. Bios and
> Linux
> bootup sees it as 17.2G, so I don't know why cfdisk will not.:(
>
> Running 2.0.36(my own roll) and mostly Debian 2.0 with few updates.

I installed a 17.2GB Maxtor in my system.  2.1.130, and I had some strange
problems.  The BIOS and Linux both report correct geometry if it's on
hdc, but on hda, Linux thinks it's a 528MB drive.  The BIOS setup shows
correct geometry no matter where I put it.  I used fdisk, not cfdisk.

I ended up overriding the Linux values in lilo.conf to get lilo working:

... snip ...
append="hda=33483,16,63"
... snip ...

Use whatever values your BIOS reports.  Note that if you do this, your
kernel files must be below cylinder 1,024.  The easiest way to do this
is to make a small partition for /boot, and put it at the beginning of
the drive.

I had to pass the same values on the command line using the Debian rescue
disk in order to get it partitioned correctly and get lilo installed
once I messed everything up.  :-)

Maybe someone else has a better solution...

Regards,

Jeff