On 22 Dec 1998, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

 : In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim Lynch  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 : >I'm not using LILO and boot into Linux from a config.sys menu option
 : >under Win95.  I use loadlin to boot Linux.  I needed to do some
 : >maintenance the other day and found that booting single from a running
 : >system doesn't work very well.  It keeps /usr mounted because it doesn't
 : >kill off the process using /usr, I guess.
 :
 : Perhaps you used the wrong way to go to single user mode. The only
 : correct way to switch to single user from multi user is:
 :
 :      shutdown now
 :
 : [Note the omission of the -r/-h option!].

However, I think this still leaves all the partitions mounted (although
you ought to be able to unmount any partition at that time).

If using `shutdown now' doesn't help, perhaps lsof can shed some light
on the problem.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD