On  7 Jan, Paolo Pedaletti wrote:
> to another
>
> Ciao,
> I want to format my HD and reinstall all the system, but I don't want to
> forget the list of
> installed packages (or reinstall them by hand...).
>
> If I do:
>
> # dpkg --get-selections | grep "[^de]install" | cut -f "1" > dpkg--g-s
>
> I have all the installed packages in that file.
> And now?
> I have tried to do:
>
> # dpkg --set-selections `cat dpkg--g-s`
>
> Wrong.
>
> # dpkg -i -GE `cat dpkg--g-s`
>
> Wrong, because it wants a .deb package, not only the name of the program.
>
> I have thought to do:
> /CDROM/debian/..../binary-i386/ # find . -iname "*deb" > /var/packages.list
>
> But then ???
>
> Q. Is it possible to copy an installation from a PC to another?
> A. Yes (of course :-)
>
> Q. HOW ???
> A. .......................
>

> IDEA!?
> And if I use apt-get with:
> deb file:/CDROM/debian stable main    ?
>
> and then:
>
> apt-get `cat dpkg--g-s`
>
> The problem is that the distribution is on 2 CD, and I have only 1 CD-ROM
> drive .... ;-)
>
> So I should distinguish between the packages in main and the ones not in
> main....UFFFFh!
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Happy GNU Year
>
> --
>
> Paolo Pedaletti, Como
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> --

Look in the experimental distribution. There is an apt-cdrom which
knows about multiple CD-ROM drives. Perhaps try writing a simple perl
script that iterates through /var/lib/dpkg/status, gets a list of
packages, iterates through /var/lib/dpkg/available, looks up the
section name, then prints a list of <package> <section>. You could grep
this list for 'non-free' or 'contrib' to find all of the non-free and
contrib packages that you have. I've been thinking of writing something
like this for a while..call it dpkg-info.
--
Stephen Pitts
[EMAIL PROTECTED]