On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 09:17:32PM -0500, Michelle Coelho wrote:
> The problem? Well, I can't connect to my ISP, though my modem is dialing
> out..I can here it do so, and I can hear the screeching sound.
>
> I ran pon 4 times. The first time plog gave me this:
> chat: expect (CONNECT)
> chat: ^M
> chat: ATDT2785619^M
> chat:CONNECT
> chat:--got it
> chat:send (\d)
> pppd: Serial Connection Established
> pppd:Using interface ppp0
> pppd:Connect ppp0<-->/dev/ttyS0
> pppd: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> magic 0xffff024f>
> <pcomp><acomp>]
> last message repeated 9 times
This means, the other side does not yet speak PPP, allthough a connection is
established. Try to dial the site manually using minicom and see what it is
waiting for. Maybe it's a terminal server that waits for a certain key or
command to enter PPP mode.

If your friends are able to login without a Windows 95 "script" whatsoever,
the above should work however, and I'm out of ideas.

> pppd: Hangup (SIGHUP)
> pppd: Modem hangup
> pppd: Connection terminated
> pppd: Exit

> I think you'd be interested in knowing that I got the following messages at
> boot time:
> Configuring serial ports....failed....
> Trying to load serial module manually
> Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled.
> tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16450
> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16450
> Success...retrying configuration..done
> /dev/ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq=4) is a 16450
> /dev/ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq=3) is a 16450
This all is ok.

> I made a symbolic link called '/dev/modem' to '/dev/ttyS0'.
> On doing a setserial -a /dev/ttyS0, I got:
> /dev/ttyS0, line 0, UART: 16450, Port 0x3f8, IRQ: 4, Baud_base:115200,
> close_delay:50, divisor :0 closing_wait:3000, closing_wait2 :infinite
> Flags:spd_normal skip_test session_lockout
> Then, I did a setserial /dev/ttyS0 spd_hi, but the problem persists.
This is not the problem. Your serial line and your modem do understand each
other well.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *