Well I've tried all the suggestions from the list and my modem is still
locking up.  This will probably be my last message from Linux
until I can get this fixed because it is getting so bad.   I
have posted about this before but here are the symptoms:

Sometime after I terminate a internet session my modem is locked by a
process, for example,

Feb  5 12:17:01 XYF pppd[222]: Device ttyS0 is locked by pid 218

When I run "ps ax" I get the following,

 218  S0 S    0:00 /usr/sbin/pppd call provider

I have tried killing this process but am told,

XYF:/home/kent# kill 218
bash: kill: (218) - No such pid

I have tried "killall pppd" and "killall chat" as root and this doesn't
reset the modem.

I tried editing /etc/chatscripts/provider and changing 'OK' to
'OK-AT-OK'.  That didn't work.

I tried using the modem dialer program minicom.  I used the hang-up and
reset part of the program and that didn't help.

I tried removing the lock,  rm /var/lock/LCK..ttyS0   that didn't help.

It seems like the modem is locked any time I let the system set for
awhile (off line).  I ran xconsole to see if I could find anything that
might be locking the modem.  I discovered "cron.daily" runs.  Also there
was an email program exim trying to get mail so I edited a file and shut
that off.  I shut off the "blackout screen" in X.  Basically taking pot
shots in the dark.  None of this helped.  My modem works just fine in
windows so I don't think it is a defect in my modem.  It is a zoom 56k
model 2919, two months old, purchased so I would have a modem to use
under Linux.  Doesn't seem like such a good investment right now.  The
problem I'm having was present from day one but has increased in
frequency so that now I seem to spend most of my computer time shutting
my computer off and turning it back on trying to reset my modem.  A
reboot won't do it.  Sometimes I have to shut my computer off 4 or 5
times before it will reset.  Once used to suffice.   I'm probably
forgetting something I've tried but that is the bulk of it.  Does anyone
know what else I can try?
Thanks,
Kent