I have just set up an anonymous ftp  on my machine.
The directory is /home/ftp with subdirectories bin
etc and pub.

THe directory ftp is owned by root and group staff.

I copied /bin/ls into /home/ftp/bin.
In etc, I copied the /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files and deleted everything except the line for
the ftp in the passwd file and the group in the group
file.

I am able to ftp anonymously from another tty on my machine
but when I do an ls, the message is the usual one ( command
successful ..  ASCII for /bin/ls ) but the subdirectories
and not shown up.  I tried ftp from my home machine, which
is also a Debian Linux, and I get the same problem.  However,
when I ftp from the NT machine and do the ls, the subdirectories
show up.

Does anybody know what the problem is? I have been following all
the directions from man ftpd and Linux unleashed by Hussain, and
Parker.

Sebastian Canagaratna
Department of Chemistry
Ohio NOrthern University