On Sun, Mar 07, 1999 at 08:57:19PM -0800, Alan Su wrote:
> i probably missed something as i upgraded to slink today, but is the
> tty that the xserver uses somehow changed to be in some config file
> (rather than taking the first unused one)?

Yes.  See /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.

> i had a couple extra virtual consoles which i used to use on tty7 and
> tty8.  after the upgrade, the xserver periodically got hosed (no
> response to keyboard input/mouse clicks) and when i was able to switch
> over to virtual consoles, i saw that the one sitting on tty7 was
> hosed.  i modified inittab to remove the two extra getty's, and now
> everything's back to normal.
>
> anyone have any ideas?  thanks.

This was done because, guess what, sometimes xdm would fire up its X server
on the first available VC, but getty hadn't yet taken control of it (don't
ask me why, xdm is the LAST thing started in the init sequence).  This
resulted in problems at least as bad as what you report (for many people,
it froze their console entirely, and a hard reset was the only way out).

So the "first available VC" allocation tactic does not work on all systems
during boot.  I therefore made the conffile ship with :0 on vt7, since the
inittab conffile ships with getty on vt1 through vt6.

There's more about this in /usr/doc/xdm/README.Debian.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |       "To be is to do"   -- Plato
Debian GNU/Linux                 |       "To do is to be"   -- Aristotle