On Tuesday 9 March, Kieth Murphy wrote

>* I'm not sure the installation itself needs radical fixing.
>* Please preserve robustness.
>* Maybe we need to represent a clear alternative.
>* Maybe RedHat has its priorities wrong (flash over >functionality?).

I agree with these opinions, and moreover, I can possibly provide a useful
point of view in that I am a newbie to Linux, though not to computing.
        Before leaping into Linux (as I desperately wanted to) I made sure I
read everything about Linux, and the major distributions first.  After
accumulating as much knowledge as I could, I decided that Debian was the one
for me.
        I understood from my analysis that RH was more "user friendly" in
it's installation process than Debian, and was told many times to use RH
first time round, but the distributions stand for much more than their
software components.  The reason I went for Debian is because I agree with
the ideology behind it, as well as the more technical reasons.  I would have
used Debian even if the installation process was much harder.
        I know that this is not the only reason as to why I chose Debian,
but I went through the install, Yeah, I had to do a bit of reading, but
Linux is, to me, about learning and functionality.  It's the reason I left
Winblows.
        The point I'm trying to make is that effort often returns
satisfaction and knowledge, which is why I'm here.  Debian is more than just
software, it's politics.

Adam