there's a debian package for it, `pppupd':

pppupd - Keeps a ppp connection alive

PPPupd, is a simple daemon which maintains a dialup PPP connection. PPPupd
is able to:
       + Execute a redial script, should the connection drop.

       + Send out periodic pings to keep a connection up, which might
       be disconnected by unruly ISP's who kick their well paying
       members off, after a predetermined number of minutes of
       inactivity.