I've been trying to do this since I first started using debian about 2
years ago.  One thing that you can do is to use a ~/.forward file to get
your MTA (smail or exim) to move the mail to a directory which NS can
use for mail (eg ~/.netscape/Mail) and direct netscape's mail directory
to there.  This will allow you to use netscape mail simply as a reader.

Alternatively, what I do is use netscape mail's POP3 client capabilities
and its internal movemail to do everything, and don't use fetchmail at
all.  The main problem with this is that you don't get system mail
notification anymore.

If you do get a good answer to this problem, could you please let me
know.

Cheers
Rich