On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Person, Roderick wrote:

>I have to say that using the gpm autodetect never worked for me.
>
>Just type in the mouse type and info yourself Just use /dev/psaux for the
>mouse type.

I did that, actually, with no luck.  It claims that /dev/psaux is not a
directory (which I agree with :) ).  Sorry I didn't mention it....

>I never used XF86Setup. Didn't like it. I prefer xf86config, much better!
>Try that and use the same driver for the mouse.

Acually, I'll one-up ya'.  I HATE xf86config!  i either use XF86Setup or
edit the file by hand.  It didn't occur to me that the problem might be
that the wrong stuff is being put into the file, though.

                                        -Michael

>> Installing 2.1_r0 and I have a PS/2 mouse (says so on the mouse) plugged
>> onto the PS/2 port on the box.  Problem is, neither gpm nor X seem to be
>> happy with it (i.e. see it at all)
>>
>> gpm's "autodetect" promptly rules out ALL possibilities claiming they
>> have a different "read() semantic" and XF86Setup lets my try any
>> combination I want... just that none of them work :)
>>
>> any clever ideas about what to try next?  The only idea I have is to try
>> lots of combinations of things and hope that one works.  If anyone has
>> any more systematic ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305