On Sun, 9 May 1999, Johan Pettersson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> try to put my hd in standby/sleep, but it dose not
> work so well. When I type hdparm -y/Y /dev/hda I can
> hear my hd spindown for 2-5 sec and then it goes back
> to normal mode! Does anyone know why it does not stay
> in standby/sleep mode ? (have a IBM Deskstar 10,1 7200Rpm)

It will be a process requiring the use of the filesystem, and as soon as
it requests it, it will spin the hard drive back up. I had the same
problem... It was syslogd putting --MARK-- into the logfile. your MTA is
another culprit, doing the mail queue every 20 minutes.

                     Michael Beattie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

    CPU's dont tend to work very well after their "magic smoke" has escaped.