Robert,

If it is a cisco router you will see a RJ45 console port on the back of it.
 The 7000, 7500 series if I remember correctly will have a RS-232.  This is
actually a serial connection that runs a 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop
bit, and no parity.  Cisco also supplies an adapter for the serial
connection between a terminal or pc and the RJ45.  While in console mode
you can telnet directly out to another host.  The command is:  telnet
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or telnet <hostname> if you have dns set up on the router.
By attaching the dumb terminal to the router's console port you will not
need to assign an IP address.

Kevin Lee
Vulcan Industries
(205) 640-2433