Subject: Kernel 2.2.x: PPP routing problem?
        Date: Sat, May 15, 1999 at 05:46:14PM +0100

Quoting Kris([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> Problem: PPP works fine under kernel 2.0.36; under 2.2.x it connects, but
> it seems like no packets go in or out. tcpdump only shows what looks like
> things trying to get out, but not getting anything back (really technical,
> huh?). I can ping myself (localhost & local IP), but not _any_ remote IPs
> (including my nameservers). All IRQs, nameservers, & so on are set correctly.
>
> PPP is compiled into the kernel (of 2.2.9), and I'm using the latest
> version of PPP. It's slink, but I've tried it with apt-get update & upgrade
> using the unstable area; makes no difference. Re-installed many times.
> Booting from floppy due to a resistant HD/BIOS. I've spent about two weeks
> on this problem, scouring searchlinux.com, deja(news), the HOW-TOs, Google,
> and so on. And I reckon I've spent about £5 on phone bills trying things.
>
> Here are various outputs while connected (my apologies if everything gets
> munged by Eudora):

[ snip ]

> # egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options
> asyncmap 0     auth    crtscts   lock   hide-password   modem
> noipdefault    -am     -vj       debug  lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 4     noipx

I have a working ppp on kernel 2.2.9. my pppd command is

exec /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 lock modem crtscts \
         asyncmap 0 defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT
pppd --version
(pppd version 2.3 patch level 5)

egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options
domain mindspring.com
mru 1500
mtu 1500
name <login-name>

 I don't recall making any changes to the above when going to the 2.2.x
kernel.  The only differences I can see are what i show above.

HTH

Wayne

--
Bringing computers into the home won't change either one, but may
revitalize the corner saloon.