I recently managed to get GNOME from potato installed onto my hybrid
slink/potato system (despite the dire warnings I've heard, I have had no
problems from the conflicting glibc versions - apt seems to have dealt
with it very well).

The only problem I had was a missing dependency somewhere that meant I
was able to get the whole thing installed without ever installing (the
right version of) imlib-base, so everything core-dumped. I spotted this
by doing apt-get -s dist-upgrade, and looking for anything relevant.
Should I file a bug on this somewhere? if so, what package?

Now for the current issue (it's a minor one, but infuriating). When I
download a GTK theme from themes.org and try to install it from the
GNOME control center, everything gives the appearance of working fine -
but only a few of the settings from the new theme are applied. The ones
that seem to be applied are basic coloring and font changes. Everything
else (ie border styles, special images for buttons, pixmap backgrounds,
gradients... basically all the cool bits) are ignored.

A couple of other minor things:
* My menus don't animate, despite the fact that I selected that they
should in the control center. is this a bug?
* Is there a way to get E to animate minimizing and unminimizing? It's
the only window operation that I don't get animated feedback on, and
it's a bit disconcerting.
* Both E and GNOME want to control the background. I can disable setting
it from GNOME, but I'd rather let GNOME do it and disable it in E. Is
there a way to do that?

Other than that, let me just say that Gnome *rocks*. Kudos to the GNOME
team, and the Debian people that packaged it all up for us. You guys
rock. I've used KDE for ages, and found it amazing to start with, but
right from the start I had little annoyances, that grew into big
annoyances over time. GNOME seems to avoid all of them... I haven't
found any yet!

Stuart.