Phillip Deackes wrote:
> Dan Nguyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> > : I'm using dselect under potato using apt to ftp://sunsite.org.uk/
> > : and something strange seems to have happened. I did an 'update' and
> > : now all the descriptions have disappeared. Also most of the packages
> > : I don't have installed have gone. I've tryed updating again but to
> > : no avail. Any hints on how to deal with this?
>
> Strange things happening here too. I am using the following
> sources.list:
>
> deb ftp://unix.hensa.ac.uk:/mirrors/debian unstable main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib
> non-free
>
> When I tried to install mutt, I got this:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package mutt has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, or that it is an obsolete package.
> E: Package mutt has no installation candidate
>
> Whatever package I try, I get the same response. If I access the hensa
> site manually via Netscape, all the packages are there and accessible.
>
> Any ideas?

I just checked the debian-devel list archives, and the problem
seems to be that the Packages file which lists the package
information is empty. See subject "archive package file broken?"
e.g. at
http://www.educ.umu.se/~bjorn/mhonarc-files/debian-devel-small/

Something had broken at the master archive and an empty Packages
file was copied to all the mirror sites. As a result, the archive
contents and list of archive contents do not match each other.

> Phillip Deackes
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Debian Linux (Potato)

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland