Hi,

I'm using Debian Linux 2.1 and have tried to get international characters
to work in console mode. But, it will not work! The characters that I
especially want to display are from the swedish alphabet: the "a" character
with a ring above the "a", and the "a" character with two dots above the
"a" and finally the character "o" with two dots above the "o".

I have been using the showkey program to get the keycode for the
characters. And they are:

- keycode 26 for the "a" character with a ring above the "a"
- keycode 39 for the character "o" with two dots above the "o"
- keycode 40 for the "a" character with two dots above the "a"

In the /etc/kbd/default.map.gz, I have edited the keycode for the keys
above to:

keycode 26      =       +aring          +Aring
keycode 39      =       +odiaeresis     +Odiaeresis
keycode 40      =       +adiaeresis     +Adiaeresis

I have also been using the "loadkeys se-latin1" command after I have edited
the keymaps in
/usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/se-latin1.map.gz

But, It will not work! The characters are not showing up in the console.
I'm using the bash shell. On the other hand. If I'm using the editor ae.
The swedish characters can be used! And, if I try to print the characters
from a short C program, it will work. Like this:

#include "stdio.h"
int
main(void)
{
        int c;
        while ( (c = getchar()) != 32 )
                putchar(c);
}

If I type the command: "stty -a", it will report that I'm using "-parenb
cs8 -istrip", etc...

It seems that all characters above 127 is impossible to get/put in the
console mode! Why?

The ASCII code for the swedish characters are all above 127!

Yours sincerely,

Christian Ericsson