Oops, I didn't realize you were just installing Debian.  I don't think that
is possible with Debian's current boot disk.  I'd copy the installation/base
(15 MB) files to your hard drive + the kernel-source 2.2.10 package and the
kernel-package packge and install from there.  After you're done installing
and it reboots into Linux, Debian will load dselect and want you to pick
what packages you want to install.  At this point, hit ALT-F2 and log in as
root.  Next, you'll need to mount your dos partition (that you install
from).  You can do this by running "insmod vfat" then "mount /dev/hda1
/mnt -t vfat" where /dev/hda1 is your dos partition (usually drive C: in
dos/windows).  From the cd to /mnt/location_of_kernel-packages and run
"dpkg -i kernel-*.deb"  Hopefully those packages don't require any other
packages.  If not, you can begin compiling the kernel by running "make-kpkg"

I recommend compiling all of the parallel port drivers as modules and the
SCSI emulation and SCSI support into the kernel (if you need SCSI?)

If you're successful this far, you should be able to reboot Linux with the
new kernel (type "uname -a"  to make sure).  If so, then you can read the
parport/paride docs that are the Documents directory of the kernel source to
figure out what drivers you'll need for your drive, and how do use them.
And finally, if the drive is detected and working, you can switch back to
Debian's installation (ALT-F1) and install from a CD-ROM... you CD-ROM
device should be called /dev/pcd0.

Good luck!
-Paul