Hi Doug;

I would suggest that you do through the debian-user and debian-devel
message archive lists (ie:  on debian.org).

You have probably "been hit" by the "perl problem".

An "apt-get upgrade" may or may not (at this point) bring things to
a "sane" point.

Those of us that are using "potato" in production machines are very
careful about doing upgrades... same was true for hamm and slink.
During various stages of the development an otherwise "stable" beta
can suddenly break very badly (this is of course WHY they are called
beta releases).

Part of your problem is that because perl is so critical to the
package management system, a change in perl can easily "break" your
system in "strange ways".  Even error messages can be quite misleading
at such times.

By reading through the great many postings about this subject you should
be able to get a feel for the nature of your problems and hopefully
either see the solution(s) yourself or at least be able to better focus
your questions.

Personally I probably can't help you beyond these suggestions because
at this moment I do not have any "current beta" machines.