Hello All,

I recently had a defective IBM SCSI drive replaced, and I have been having some
wierd problems with the replacement drive.  When I first put the replacement
into my system, my SCSI BIOS complained that the reported geometry of
1020/141/62 (C/H/S) was incorrect and that a head/sector paramter of 255/63 was
expected.  It told me that any OS other than DOS would have a problem with the
drive.  I installed Debian anyway and, after configuring LILO around the
problem, ended up with a bootable system.  My problem was that I still got an
annoying error message from my SCSI BIOS when I boot my machine.  I did a
low-level format of the drive and all of a sudden it was reporting the correct
drive geometry of 555/255/63, which is the same geometry that my original drive
always reported.  After the low-level format, I installed Debian again, and
when I rebooted for the first time after the system installation, I got the
error message again.  Is the replacement drive damaged or is their some kind of
SCSI LBA-mode type of addressing that I need to set somewhere?  SCSI Devices
are not my specialty :)

Some Useful Info:

SCSI Controller: Tekram DC-390F
SCSI Drive: IBM Ultrastar 9ES 4.5GB LVD, ID 6, LUN 0

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you SCSI Masters can provide.

Regards,

Steve Beitzel
[EMAIL PROTECTED]