The obvious (just to make sure):
Have you set up your modem/ppp -connection?
Use pppconfig, and have all the relevant information handy
(like IP-numbers, password to your isp, which port the modem is on, etc.)
It worked just super with my run-of-the-mill external modem,
although quite a while back, so forgive me for any inaccuracies.
hth
Regards
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer