I've got a custom bootdisk that works fine. I moved the kernel to my home
directory using dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/home/david/vmlinuz. (I also used cat
/dev/fd0 > /home/david/vmlinuz and it did the same thing.)

Everything is OK, except the file size of this new kernel looks like its the
size of an unformatted disk, i.e. 1.47 Mb. The past kernel was about 350Kb, but
had extraneous stuff.

I reran lilo and booted off the hard drive, and the new kernel works fine.
Should the fact that this custom/slimmer kernel is larger in size than the
stock Debian kernel (by about 4X) worry me?

Dave