First off, I have read the README.Debian file in /usr/doc/slrnpull/, but I
still cannot get slrnpull to accept my outgoing messages when running slrn in
spool mode. (Incidentally, is there a way to run slrnpull as non-root?)

As suggested, I did: adduser david news, adding me to the news group. (I
elected not to chmod 777 on the out.going directory since that seemed the more
pernicious approach.) However, I still get messages that access is denied to
the out.going group.

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I (david) be added to group news
AND chmod 777 on the out.going directory? I've tried posting an article to
comp.os.linux.setup about 5 times but the "access denied" message keeps getting
in my way. And what security holes are there, if any, by adding david to group
news?

Help...

Thanks.