> Hi
>
> Has anyone had any experience using hdparm to increase the performance of
> your ide hard drives?  Does it work and are there any drawbacks?  Is there
> any software which can measure hard drive performance?

I've used it, and it worked well.
I think I've maxed the performance out on my drives. The drawbacks....I am
not sure. My drives are at least 4 years old and working fine.
hdparm -tT device measures the speed of your hard drive transfer rate
(-t is read to memory, -T read to disk cache)
Andrew

 Andrei S. Ivanov
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]