1) dmesg only covers kernel messages.  There are other messages
   that get printed to the screen when the system starts up that
   don't get shown by dmesg.  To see these, I just hold down
   <shift> and use <PAGE-UP> and <PAGE-DOWN> to scroll through
   the messages.  Probably not the most scientific approach, but
   it works for me.

2) As for SIOCADDRT:  your /etc/init.d/network (or is it networks)
   file has a line to add a route for local network traffic through
   the loopback interface.  As of Kernel 2.2.0, you need to have
   a netmask on that line.  Debian Slink is designed for 2.0.x
   kernels which don't really need this parameter.  I have mailed
   the maintainers about this problem.  Until this gets changed,
   change the line:
        route add -net 127.0.0.0
   to:
        route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 lo

Hope this helps,
        Bryan

----- End Included Message -----

--------------End of forwarded message-------------------------