On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Richard Clarke wrote:

>Could someone point me to documentation for exim and fetchmail which is
>easier to understand than the "man" files.

There is more documentation in /usr/doc or /usr/share/doc. It's more
comprehensive, but it's probably not that helpfull if you just want to
get started.

>As I understand, exim is a local mail agent which uses SMTP? to send
>mail around the localnetwork. Fetchmail delivers remote mail, POP3
>in my case, to this local network and the users on it. However, I
>don't fully understand how it all works yet and my attempt to get
>either exim or fetchmail working don't seem to bear any success.

If you use the deb packages, exim should work almost out of the box.
The postinstall script will ask some questions and find a suitable
default config for your system. In particular, you probably want to
use your ISP's SMTP server as a so-called "smart host", pay attention
to that part.

Try exim first by sending mail to yourself on the local machine, that
is, say, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. In case it doesn't work, install the
eximon package and run eximon (as root or sudo'ed), that's a graphical
interface to exim that will display the log and the contents of the
mail queue. Post again if you run into trouble. Try to get that
straight before trying out fetchmail, it would be useless without a
working MTA like exim.

Then, install exim and create a .fetchmailrc file either for root
(in /root, for system-wide setups) or for you only (in your home dir).
The syntax is pretty straightforward, for example:

poll <servername>       # name of the pop server
proto pop3              # use pop3 protocoll
user <username>         # username for pop server
password <password>     # guess what
is <username>           # username on *local* host

and (optional):

fetchall                # fetch old and new mail and delete from server

And so on for every mail account. .fetchmailrc permissions *have* to
be 600 (`chmod 600 .fetchmailrc`).

Let's assume you created a system-wide .fetchmailrc in /root and want
to poll all servers whenever you connect to your ISP. Put that at the
bottom of '/etc/ppp/ip-up':

fetchmail -d 600
fetchmail

The first line will start fetchmail in daemon mode and tell it to poll
all hosts in your .fetchmailrc (/root/.fetchmailrc in this case, since
commands in /etc/ppp/ip-up are run as root by default) every 600
seconds. The second line will wake the daemon up and tell it to poll
right away (otherwise the first attempt would be made after 600
seconds). Whenever you want to fetch mail in between these intervals,
just run `fetchmail` as root, to wake up the daemon process.

Don't forget to add this

fetchmail --quit

to '/etc/ppp/ip.down'. If you don't want/need to run fetchmail as
root, the command in /etc/ppp/ip-* should be preceded by a `sudo`
command, e.g.

sudo <my_local_username> fetchmail -d 600

Let us know what you come up with.

--
Space for hire. Contact Philip Lehman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>