On Sun, Oct 24, 1999 at 16:17, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> You might not be using Netscape extensively enough to trigger the bugs.
>
> Maybe usage pattern differences are something to explore.
>
> Do you (and others):
> - - have Java enabled?
Yup.
> - - have Javascript enabled?
Yup.
> - - typically open just one or two windows or open many?
One or two, sometimes as many as four.
> - - have just a few bookmarks or a big, messy pile (like, say, 2000 of them)
>   you'll never quite get sorted?
Not 2000, maybe 100.
> - - open a lot of windows using "open in new window" (middle mouse button)?
Nope.

> Please check this one for me (I don't see how this can be anything other
> than a Netscape bug, but if it is something else, I'd like to know):
>
> On any Unix (X11) version of Communicator:
Alas, I use only Navigator, not the whole Communicator package.
> - - open the bookmarks window
> - - click on a bookmark to select it
> - - open the bookmark properties window (via the right-click menu)
> - - leaving the bookmark properties window open,
> - - click on a separator in the bookmarks window
> - - click on some other bookmark window entry
>
> Does Communicator crash with a bus error??
Nope, works just fine -- I can click until I'm blue in the face and
Netscape (Navigator) just keeps on truckin'.

I'm not suggesting that Netscape is bug free, but it sounds to me like
you're on a mission to stress test it to failure. Why 2000 bookmarks for
heaven's sake? How many Netscape windows is it useful to have open at
once?

Other things I'd look at: What window manager are you using? Does
Netscape give you fits under several different window managers? What
other tasks are running? What does top tell you about your resources?
Etc., etc.

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\