On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 05:00:31PM -0500, Phil Brutsche wrote:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far way, someone said...
>
> [...]
> >     Does any one know what might be happening? I'd be more than happy to
> > provide you with further information (file listings and stuff like that).
> > The motherboard is a Pentium MMX compatible with PCI and ISA bus and with an
> > VXPro+ chipset. I'm using debian slink with XFree 3.5.
>
> Since you're using (trying to use, actually :)) XFree 3.3.5, I would
> recommend that you use the XF86_SVGA server from XFree 3.3.3.1.  I can
> provide you with the binary to make it easy for you to get it.

        I don't seem to be able to find the binary. I used the XFree 3.3.2
that came with slink, and the problem is still the same. I don't know why,
but it looks like a hardware problem to me. I changed the mouse serial port
from ttyS0 to ttyS1, and that's the only serial port that I have on this
machine. It's a bit better now, the mouse moves randomly all over the place,
as if it was the wrong type of mouse (however, it *isn't*, and there's no
gpm to put to blame for). The card's fine (windows 3.11 finds it, boots in
lo res and the mouse wiggles about nicely, as if it nothing had happened),
and this problem has happened with every single PCI SVGA card I've used so
far (and I have tried 3 different ones!!!).

        Any other suggestions? This is really frustrating!!!!
        Thanks for your help,
        Jose

--
Jose L Gomez Dans                       PhD student
                                        Radar & Communications Group