On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 06:07:31PM +0000, John wrote:

> I've obtained patches 2 to 5 but now have a problem in applying them.
> My /usr/src had only 'kernel-sources-2.2.1' (and the .tar.gz source which
> I'm leaving there for the time being) until I moved 'patch-2.2.xx' from the
> download site.
>
> When I do 'zcat patch2.gz | patch -p0' I get:-

Cd into your kernel source dir, and use '-p1' instead.

> I discover the quoted lines are the first three text lines of the patch,
> and the fourth is I presume machine instructions viz,
>       @@-1403,6 +1403,13@@

These numbers are actually line numbers - it's telling patch the general
location of where to look in the file. I think the format is like this:

- look at line 1403
- 6 lines are to be removed
- look at the new line 1403
- 13 lines are to be added

Someone please correct me if I messed that up. :-)

> Can anyone help - I feel I understand what is required generally,
> but not specifically. Is it that I don't have a directory called
> Linux in /usr/src? (everything I read seems to assume I have)
> I don't mind messing-up things and having to reinstall, but it
> wouldn't help I'd still not be able to apply patches.

You could rename your kernel-source-2.2.1 to whatever the patch is
expecting and run patch again with the arguments you used, but you are
better off to cd into the the dir and use '-p1', since everybody seems
to have different names for their top level directory. :-)

--
[ Matthew Gregan ]      [ GPG ID: B63A1E95 ]      [ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[ GPG fingerprint:  FB83 2911 F170 B31C 9E4A  E382 CA8A A2F6 B63A 1E95 ]