I'm using netatalk on three machines on my LAN: my workstation
(PII/350, Realtek 8139), the server/gateway (PII/400, Realtek 8139)
and the printer server (486DX50, 3Com 509). All are running current
potato and 2.2.13.

There appears to be a problem with atalkd on bootup on the two PII
machines:

Starting Appletalk Daemons (this will take a while):socket: Invalid argument
socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
atalkd afpd papd.

This causes the Mac on the network to fail to see the server in
Chooser (typing the IP address works okay). Bizarrely, the 486
doesn't have this problem, boots up cleanly and is seen in
Chooser.

What could be causing this problem? I don't even understand the
error message, nevermind how to fix it.

TIA,
--
alisdair mcdiarmid                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[funny how everything i swore i wouldn't change, is different now]