I managed to scrounge up an additional identiacl hard disk to replace
my dying disk.  dd seems to have successfully duplicated the drive;
they look the same. To write to the drive, I have it as the primary on
the secondary controller.

I switched cables, and it wouldn't boot, so I presume the boot sector
doesn't get copied by
dd?  I copied /etc/lilo.config to /ec/lilo.config.c, and changed only
the boot line to

   boot=/dev/hdc

while leaving the old information about hda in the entries.  Upon
making it the primary, I get

   LIL-

I could solve this easily by booting from a floppy, but that doesn't
seem to be an option, as something went horribly wrong when I set the
password in the bios.

So how do I boot from hda and setup hdc to be hada?

rick, now stumped

p.s.  should syslogd really go to 100% cycle usage when / switches to
ro status due to disk errors?  I understand it's trying to write, but
is this a bug?

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]