> Bernhard Rieder said:
>
> "Eric G . Miller" wrote:
> > Well, I have potato with 2.2.13 and StarOffice working fine here. Any
> > idea what the patch applies to? Perhaps I'm not using whatever it is
> > that breaks it.
>
> Maybe this applies only to SO 5.1 (from StarDivision) and not to
> SO 5.1a from Sun but I'm not sure about (I have installed and
> updated it on my machine since 5.0 but never really used it)
>
> Bernhard Rieder

I managed to install S.O. 5.1 (StarDivision) with slink and 2.0.36, and
it did work fine.  Now it's S.O. 5.1a (Sun) the one which I can't have
up and working with a partly installed potato and 2.2.10.

The problem here is not that it doesn't work, but I can't even install
it.  As I said earlier, the installation screen shows up "frozen", and
it hangs the whole system, leaving me with the only alternative of
having to press the reset button (so, I won't be giving it many more
chances).

I looked at kt.linuxcare.org, and through the kernel developers
discussion about it.  I found no patch whatsoever.  I agree that if it
is a failure of the program and not of the kernel, the kernel SHOULD NOT
be fixed (as there's nothing to fix in it, but in S.O.).  Therefore, if
kernel 2.2.13 has the fix (and it seems most ppl using it have no
problems with S.O.), that's a wrong approach.  Instead, patches should
be provided, though never integrated with the kernel.

Regards,

--
Horacio                                 Anno MMDCCLII ad Urbe condita
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       Valencia - ESPAÑA