rogalsky wrote:

The truth is, that the core image of the running program would be
retained
by each process using it until the process exits.  Meanwhile, the disk
image
would be replaced by the new program, which would be run by any program
calling it.  Things get hairy when a shareable dynamically loaded
library
is replaced, though.