> I am a newbie and have just installed Debian. I need to connect to a website
> to download an upgrade to xfree86. I put the url in my sources list, but when
> I try apt-update, the response I get is that the website doesn't exist.

   Welcome to Debian Steve.  First, ignore me if I'm talking down to you,
but I don't know how much of a newbie you are.  The /etc/apt/sources.list
file doesn't take a web site per se, it takes a formatted string such as:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian slink main contrib non-free

   The above would connect via HTTP protocol to the us.debian.org site and
grab the updates for slink (the current "stable" release).  For that to work
with the unstable release, change the "slink" to "unstable" or to "potato".

   Once you edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file, make sure you do an Update
to grab the new databases.

   If you want to make sure you're getting the very latest slink updates you
can also include a line of:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists/slink-proposed-updates/

but the above may include some packages that aren't considered 100% stable.

--
 Regards, | SAT practice quiz:  Microsoft is to software as is ...
 .        |            Answer:  McDonalds is to gourmet cooking.