On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, Thirunathan Sutharsan wrote:

> How can I get my US Robotics 56k faxmodem to work with Debian 2.1? Please
> provide me with the steps I need to follow. Thanks.

Is your modem internal? If so is it a PCI card? Only a very few PCI
modems can be made to run under Linux. My ISA internal modem runs
under Linux, as do my external modems.

The PCI modems are usually Win Modems. They have the internal logic
gutted, replaced with a driver which is provided only by (for?) MS
LOSE 9x and 2x. They offload the real work to the CPU. The
manufacturers tend to keep the technical details propriatary, so
that no free drivers can be written without reverse engineering.

I understand that there has been some success with Linux and PCI
modems that use certain Lucent chip sets. I don't have any details.