On 27 Dec 1999, Arcady Genkin wrote:

 : If I want to mount a partition with `sync' option, can I keep
 : `defaults'? I know `defaults' implies `async', but will explicitly
 : specifying `sync' override that?

You can keep defaults, but you don't need to - the defaults are, well,
defaults :)

Here's what I mean:

If you specify "sync", the fs will also be mounted using "rw, suid, dev,
exec, auto, and nouser" (the defaults).  You only need specify
"defaults" in /etc/fstab when all you want are the defaults - the fstab
field may not be empty.

I'm not explaining this very well but if you think about it it makes
sense (I hope :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD