There were actually 2 problems.

1) I cannot connect from the desktop machines to the NATd machine
   using either the private IP nor the real IP.
   This I have solved. I guess the problem came from the wrong
   routing table in the Notes server.. (however I am not allowed
   to change settings there, so I just moved the masquerading job
   to FW2, and it's working now)

2) I cannot connect from any parts of the internal network to the Notes
   server with the real IP. (I can connect from internal network using
   the private IP, so I guess it is not the same problem as you stated?)
   Everybody is satisfied with the current configuration, but it is
   really ugly to get an "invalid argument" like that.  So... are
   there any possible solutions for this?