*- On 30 Dec, Konrad Mierendorff wrote about "Upgrading slinkr1 --> r4"
> Hi,
>
> I'd really like to upgrade but not with apt-get and my 33.6-Modem.
> Therefore I downloaded all packages mentioned in
> "ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/ChangeLog"; at the local
> Universitiy. (I simply "grepped" all lines starting with "dists" --
> please tell me if this is not enough!)
> Now I have all the packages on my disk but when I put the tree into
> /etc/apt/sources.list and do an "apt-get update" it complains about
> missing Packages.gz files.
> I tried to put these files together but wasn't very succesfull as there
> doesn't seem to be much documentation on this. (My approach was to put
> the output of "dpkg --info" executed in a for loop over all packages in
> one file, but that didn't work :-( )
> Please help me if there is an easy to build Packages.gz files or give me
> a pointer to some usable information.

Make sure you have the dpkg-dev package installed.

cd to parent directory of all your debs.

dpkg-scanpackages <dir of debs> /dev/null > <dir of debs>/Packages

Then add the following to your sources.list,

deb file:<path to parent of Debs>/ <dir of debs>/

Example:

All my locally compiled debs are in /usr/local/Debian-Src/Debs

cd /usr/local/Debian-Src
dpkg-scanpackages Debs /dev/null > Debs/Packages
echo "deb file:/usr/local/Debian-Src/ Debs/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update

This works for me, there may be other ways to do it.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.