*- On  2 Jan, Colin Watson wrote about "Re: Y2K problem with slrn?"
> Pann McCuaig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Here is my $HOME/.jnewsrc.time:
>>
>>NEWGROUPS 1000102 173956 GMT
>>
>>Looks like there's a 100 where a 2000 ought to be.
>
> See:
>
>   http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=53811
>
> I imagine there'll be a new release of slrn out soon that solves this
> problem.

Actually the one in potato contains the fix but apparently this wasn't
caught for the y2k slink release(2.1r4).  The current pilot-manager
package has the same type of bug in it as well.  You could always build
the potato source package on your slink system.

The bug by the way is the result of sloppy programming.  There is a c
library call that returns the year as the number of years from 1900,
also used in perl's Time::Local.  Authors were using that as the two
digit year or just appending it to 19, so you are either seeing years of
100 or years of 19100.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.