*- On  5 Jan, Pollywog wrote about "kernel question"
> I just found out that Linux kernel 2.2.14 is out and it is stable.
> Debian does not yet have a kernel-source-2.2.14-deb out.  Can I just use a
> regular kernel source tarball to make a custom kernel image the Debian way?
> I have done this before but I suspect there were some additional steps I had
> to perform.
>
> Should I just wait for the Debian source package?

Just do it!  Just use make-kpkg with a revision name that will be
greater than 2.2.14-1(this will be the version number of the
kernel-image once it is released) and you will be fine.

make-kpkg --revision=pollywog.1 kernel_image

Basically anything with a letter will be fine, something like
pollywog.1.  Use dpkg to check it if you are not sure.

#dpkg --compare-versions 2.2.14-1 ge pollywog.1 ; echo $?
1
#dpkg --compare-versions 2.2.14-1 lt pollywog.1 ; echo $?
0

So the first one failed and the second one was successful, i.e. the
version number of 'pollywog.1' will be considered as newer than a
version number of 2.2.14-1 by dpkg.  Since the Debian kernel packages
always have the version number the same as the kernel version number
then you will be fine.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.