that works..

i suggest you do not use X if you need to exit out of it often though. you
don't have to exit X to reboot(if thats what you want to do)

if you are not logging into X windows as root, launch an x term (so you
get a command prompt)

then type: su
enter the root password when prompted
then type: shutdown -h now

if you want to shutdown the *whole* system
or..

shutdown -r now

if you want to reboot, you can also use the command 'reboot'

if you want to prevent X from bstarting when the machine boots up, you can
delete the file /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm then you will boot into the text
console, and you can use the 'startx' command to start 'X', without the
display manager(xdm)

nate